RSS
Facebook
Twitter

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Day Two of the Top 2000: "The Pretender..."

My choice for today's playlist on the Top 2000 is #1789: "The Pretender," by Jackson Browne.  I've been a major fan of Jackson's for my whole adult life.  I find his songwriting to be absolutely amazing.  Seeing The Pretender on the list for today, it was a no-brainer that this was my song of choice!

The Pretender was released in 1976, and has a completely different feel for me, than Magical Mystery Tour (yesterday's pick).  More urban, more bleak.  I tried to reflect that in my page.

Here's' how it turned out...
 
and here's a little bit of the process I went through for making the page...

The first thing I did was gather together colors that I felt represented the emotion of the song ...


Layer one of randomly brushing these colors onto the page...

some spray inks to make it even more grungy looking...

Then I decided we need some texture and contrast, so out came Julie Balzer's chevron stencil and some Ranger color wash...



At this point I did a google search for images of Jackson, that had the right "feeling" for the page.  I came up with these three...


I decided on the top left-hand image; printed it on matte photo paper, cut it out, and glued it down.  I added a few more elements with paint, and then chose the part of the lyric that represents the song best to me.  Here again, is the finished page...

and here's a video for the Pretender, where Jackson explains the meaning of the song before he sings it.  I love this...

To check out everyone's art for today, click here to go to Marit's Top 2000 headquarters!

Thanks so much for visiting!  Come on back tomorrow for day 3 of the Top 2000!

0 comments:

Post a Comment